What questions should I ask my dentist?
Going to the dentist can seem overwhelming, especially if you are experiencing pain or are in need of a specific treatment. Being prepared with the right questions to ask is a great way to feel more comfortable and ready for your visit. Here are some great questions to ask if you are going in for a regular cleaning appointment:
- What can I do to improve my oral health? We all know we should be brushing and flossing regularly, but in some cases, there may be more steps to take to improve your oral health. Your dentist can help you care for your teeth, and ensure that serious issues are avoided whenever possible.
- Is there anything I should tell my doctor about? Oral health has been linked to many serious health conditions, including heart concerns, respiratory diseases, and more. Asking your dentist if there is anything you may want to talk to your general care doctor can help prevent or find and treat issues that the rest of your body may be experiencing.
- Should I make any changes in my normal care? Depending on changes to your oral health, or just your unique needs, your dentist may recommend that you make changes in your professional maintenance schedule and regularity. For example, if you have early signs of gum disease, your dentist may want you to have professional cleanings more often.
If you're visiting the dentist for a specific concern or procedure, you may want to ask some more unique questions:
- Will costs be discussed before any procedure? The last thing you want is for a treatment to be completed, and the cost to be something you are not comfortable with. Make sure that the staff will go over your costs and coverage before anything is completed.
- What can I expect during the procedure? With each unique dental treatment comes a different process for the procedure. Have your dentist fully explain and answer any questions that you have about what you can expect during the treatment- this can help you prepare and feel most comfortable when you begin the process, no matter what the treatment is!
- What can I expect or the recovery? If you are having a more extensive treatment done, recovery processes can be extensive. Make sure that you are prepared ahead of time for what you'll need during your recovery, such as specific foods or care items. Your dentist should be able to walk you through this completely!
If you have any questions, or if you'd like to schedule a visit to our office, give us a call today for more information!